In this episode we cover the highlights of our recent live event in London “Tropical Cyclone - Managing Tomorrow's Climate Risk Today with Reask and Fathom”. We heard about how insurers and portfolio managers are taking account of the increased need to understand the combined risk of floods and hurricanes. We were joined by some of the companies providing climate analytics and data including:
1:38 Jamie Rodney, CEO, Reask; Andrew Smith, Co-founder and Chief Operating Officer, Fathom; David Vicary, Research and Development Manager, Brit Insurance
15:01 Robert Porter, Product Director, VAVE; Oliver Wing, Chief Research Officer, Fathom; Sue Barenbrug, Independent Consultant
27.46 Paul Wilson, Partner, Securis Investment Partners; Thomas Loridan, Co-founder and Chief Science Officer, Reask
43.41 Dickie Whitaker, Founder and CEO, Oasis Loss Modelling Framework
Talking points include:
- What a globally correlated cyclone model looks like
- The valuation of properties and how open data is impacting this
- Applying science at the point of sale
- Aggregating and pricing flood risk
- How a puppy called Jasper demonstrates climate versus natural variability
If you like what you are hearing, please leave us a review on whichever platform you use or contact Matthew Grant on LinkedIn.
Sign up to the InsTech newsletter for a fresh view on the world every Wednesday morning.
Continuing Professional Development - Learning Objectives
InsTech is accredited by The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII). By listening to an InsTech podcast, or reading the accompanying transcript, you can claim up to 0.5 CPD hours towards the CII member CPD scheme.
The Learning Objectives for this podcast are:
- List some of the reasons why establishing an understanding of the combined risks of floods and hurricanes is essential in the current economic times
- Describe some of the issues relating to tropical cyclone statistics, including the effects of global warming
- Identify the different ways of sourcing data to effectively evaluate and price flood risk
Let us know you have listened to this podcast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and if your organisation is a member of InsTech you will receive a quarterly summary of the CPD hours you have earned.
To help us measure the impact of the learning, we would be grateful if you would take a minute to complete a quick feedback survey.