Robin is joined by Concirrus CEO and Co-founder Andrew Yeoman on Podcast 160 to discuss how commercial insurers are beginning to use algorithms to support underwriting decisions.
The conversation covers the findings from the InsTech London report, A Practitioner's Guide: Algorithmic underwriting in commercial and specialty insurance, which examines where industry adoption is right now and what’s needed to move the technology forward.
Andrew shares his insights on the potential of algorithmic underwriting, plus practical examples of how Concirrus is using algorithms to identify marine risks and build dynamic pricing models.
Talking points include:
- How underwriters are using algorithms
- The challenges to wider industry adoption
- Predicting behaviours through technology
- ‘Digital fracking’ and the importance of structured data
- Automation as a journey and where we are on it
- The balance of AI and human input
A Practitioner's Guide: Algorithmic underwriting in commercial & specialty insurance is available to download from the Reports section of our website.
For more information about Concirrus, take a look at the company's corporate member profile page.
If you like what you're hearing, please leave us a review on whichever platform you use, or contact Matthew Grant on LinkedIn.
Sign up to our newsletter for a fresh view on the world every Wednesday morning.
Continuing Professional Development - Learning Objectives
InsTech London is accredited by The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII). By listening to an InsTech London podcast, or reading the accompanying transcript, you can claim up to 0.5 CPD hours towards the CII member CPD scheme.
The Learning Objectives for this podcast are:
- Understand how algorithms are being used to build dynamic pricing models
- Recognise how algorithmic approaches support underwriting decisions
- Distinguish how structured data improves the efficiency of underwriting algorithms
To continue learning about commercial insurance, visit the Concirrus profile page.
Let us know you have listened to this podcast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and if your organisation is a member of InsTech London you will receive a quarterly summary of the CPD hours you have earned.
To help us measure the impact of the learning, we would be grateful if you would take a minute to complete a quick feedback survey.