While weather-related catastrophic events are on the rise, insurance policies and federal aid are still inaccessible for many globally.
Jonathan Gonzalez is the CEO and co-founder of Raincoat, a platform to support insurers in the development and distribution of parametric insurance solutions for consumers in at-risk countries and regions.
He joins Matthew on Podcast 183 to explain how scalable parametric insurance products are helping to reduce the protection gap, Raincoat’s consumer-focused approach, and tailoring solutions to tackle relevant climate risks in different areas of the world.
Talking points include:
- How Hurricane Maria inspired Jonathan to launch a company
- How he used his software background to build Raincoat
- What is needed to successfully collaborate with insurers
- The indices used to measure perils and how various data sources are handled
- The importance of regulation in the application of parametric insurance
You can get more information about Raincoat on the company’s InsTech London member profile page.
If you like what you're hearing, please leave us a review on whichever platform you use or contact Matthew Grant on LinkedIn.
Sign up to the InsTech newsletter for a fresh view on the world every Wednesday morning.
Continuing Professional Development - Learning Objectives
InsTech London is accredited by The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII). By listening to an InsTech London podcast, or reading the accompanying transcript, you can claim up to 0.5 CPD hours towards the CII member CPD scheme.
The Learning Objectives for this podcast are:
- Summarise what the protection gap is and the role of parametric insurance products in reducing this
- Understand how various indices and data sources are used to measure risk
- List some of the relevant climate risks in different areas of the world and some solutions to mitigate against these
Let us know you have listened to this podcast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and if your organisation is a member of InsTech London you will receive a quarterly summary of the CPD hours you have earned.
To help us measure the impact of the learning, we would be grateful if you would take a minute to complete a quick feedback survey.