With climate-related risk becoming a top priority for insurers, Podcast 175 examines where the industry is right now in terms of identifying the specific challenges and opportunities ahead.
Matthew talks to Katie Lennon, Head of ESG, UK & Lloyd's at AXA XL, about how processes for measuring and managing climate impact are developing.
The conversation covers how Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) differs for business operations and clients, creating consistency around allocating carbon emissions, and the work being done on a global scale to help support insurers.
Talking points include:
- Communicating the purpose of ESG across organisations
- Practical examples of measuring climate impact and organisational change
- Where insurers can have the biggest impact on carbon emissions
- Defining consistent terminology and standardised frameworks
- Opportunities for third parties around unstructured climate data
Climate Change Measurement and Regulation, a new report from InsTech London on reporting insurers’ climate change risk and impact, will be released on 24 February. More details coming soon.
You can also keep up to date on climate-related events by subscribing to our new Climate Risk newsletter. The first issue will be published on 10 February. More information is available at instech.london/climate.
If you like what you're hearing, please leave us a review on whichever platform you use, or contact Matthew Grant on LinkedIn.
Sign up to our newsletter for a fresh view on the world every Wednesday morning.
A transcript of Podcast 175 is also available to download.
Continuing Professional Development - Learning Objectives
InsTech London is accredited by The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII). By listening to an InsTech London podcast, or reading the accompanying transcript, you can claim up to 0.5 CPD hours towards the CII member CPD scheme.
The Learning Objectives for this podcast are:
- Describe how the insurance industry is currently handling the challenges and opportunities of climate risk
- Summarise some of the ways the process for measuring and managing climate change are developing
- Identify how ESG differs for business operations and clients
Let us know you have listened to this podcast by emailing email@example.com and if your organisation is a member of InsTech London you will receive a quarterly summary of the CPD hours you have earned.
To help us measure the impact of the learning, we would be grateful if you would take a minute to complete a quick feedback survey.