Thousands of UK property claims are made every year related to unseen perils below ground, with climate change already increasing the risks facing homeowners and insurers.
Dr Tim Farewell is the Director of Science and Communications at Terrafirma, a Dye & Durham Solution, and one of the UK’s leading authorities on ground risks.
He joins Matthew on Podcast 178 to discuss what is causing the problems, and how Terrafirma provides data to help insurers understand portfolio risks from subsidence, mines and voids, sinkholes, and coastal erosion.
Talking points include:
- The science behind different ground risks
- The most common causes of subsidence and sinkholes
- How insurers are using Terrafirma data for assessing risks and claims
- The effect of climate change on ground risks - today and in the future
- Emerging technologies and tracking ground movement from space
If you’d like to discuss subsidence or climate hazards with Tim, send him a message on LinkedIn.
You can find out more about climate risk and the work Terrafirma is doing in the next InsTech London report.
Climate Change Risk, Regulation and Measurement: 22 companies to know will be available to download from our reports section from 9am on Thursday 24 February.
To keep up-to-date with the latest news and developments in the space, sign up to our new monthly Climate Risk newsletter.
If you like what you're hearing, please leave us a review on whichever platform you use, or contact Matthew Grant on LinkedIn.
Sign up to our newsletter for a fresh view on the world every Wednesday morning.
Continuing Professional Development - Learning Objectives
InsTech London is accredited by The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII). By listening to an InsTech London podcast, or reading the accompanying transcript, you can claim up to 0.5 CPD hours towards the CII member CPD scheme.
The Learning Objectives for this podcast are:
- Articulate the impact of climate change on increasing ground risks for property owners and insurers
- Understand the value of data in ground risk assessment
- Provide real-life examples of emerging technology mitigating these risks
Let us know you have listened to this podcast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and if your organisation is a member of InsTech London you will receive a quarterly summary of the CPD hours you have earned.
To help us measure the impact of the learning, we would be grateful if you would take a minute to complete a quick feedback survey.