Our Spring 2022 leaderboard features a new number one: Piyush Singh, Founder of Terrene Labs - a FRISS company.
Flock’s Ed Leon Klinger follows closely behind, with AXA XL’s Katie Lennon among eight new entries in our Top 15.
If you are looking for an episode that matches your area of interest then take a look at the Top 50 below.
The links will take you directly to the podcast episode pages, which include an embedded podcast player and links to the InsTech podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts.
InsTech London Podcast - Top 50
1. Piyush Singh: Founder, Terrene Labs - a FRISS company: Calling all underwriters - focus on the core, not the chore (155)
How Terrene Labs aggregates third-party data sources to help underwriters and why Piyush left a senior role to launch a start-up.
2. Ed Leon Klinger: CEO, Flock: The insurer of the future has arrived (126)
Ed and Matthew discuss Flock's growth, its new connected vehicles division, and embedded insurance solutions.
3. Katie Lennon: Head of ESG, UK & Lloyd’s, AXA XL: ESG - the insurer’s perspective (175)
The conversation covers how Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) differs for business operations and clients, creating consistency around allocating carbon emissions, and the work being done on a global scale to help support insurers.
4. Brendan Smyth & Premal Gohil: Liberty Mutual Insurance: Embracing innovation - lessons from a global insurer (161)
Brendan and Premal outline how Liberty Mutual approaches innovation projects and works with third parties to understand new insurance trends. This episode also includes advice for start-ups on how to approach insurers.
5.Sébastien Piguet: Co-founder & Head of Underwriting, Descartes Underwriting: Going global - delivering parametric insurance at scale (165)
Sébastien and Matthew discuss trends in parametric insurance and Descartes' experiences with its clients.
6. Jeremy Hyams: Chief Executive Officer, Synergy Cloud: Claims technology - building the single source of truth (166)
How to build a claims service provider, innovating at speed during Covid-19, and how the Synergy Cloud platform is helping the AA to manage home insurance claims in-house.
7. Marco Mirabella: Founder & CEO, Ensuro: Crypto capital for insurance start-ups (164)
Marco joins InsTech London's Henry Gale to discuss the opportunity for cryptocurrency to be used as insurance capital and how Ensuro's technology works.
8. Simon Lewis & Matt Greaves: Atrium Underwriters: Underwriting and innovation where it counts (159)
Atrium Underwriters has established itself as one of the most forward-thinking insurers when it comes to innovation and new technology.
9. Karina Buch: Chief Commercial Officer, Insurance Business Applications: Digital insurance platforms - getting ahead and staying ahead (156)
Karina and Robin discuss the growth of IBA, what makes the company different and what IBA's ideal customer looks like.
10. William Hawkins: Director of Research - Europe, KBW: How insurers think: the equity analyst‘s view (147)
Matthew and William discuss how insurers make money, the prospects for digitally enabled MGAs and which emerging technologies could become the norm
11. Niall Barton: Co-founder & Executive Chairman, Wrisk: A marathon not a sprint - surviving and thriving as an insurtech (154)
How Wrisk is using scalable technology to help automotive brands shape their customers’ mobility and insurance experiences, plus Niall shares his insights on being a founder.
12. Christian Wiens: CEO, Getsafe: Giving a new generation access to insurance (168)
Christian Wiens talks about how Getsafe has scaled since being founded in 2015, the company's plans for expansion, and innovation trends to watch.
13. Devin Chawda: Co-founder & CEO, ARMD: Embedded insurance - the next frontier for a serial entrepreneur (177)
This episode covers how ARMD's technology works, why customers like embedded insurance, and the challenge of building a business and raising funds during Covid-19 lockdowns.
14. Ruth Foxe Blader and Matthew Jones: Anthemis: What really matters - the investors’ view (176)
In this episode, the current financial markets and the opportunities that are attracting investors right now are discussed.
15. Bryan Falchuk: Managing Partner, Insurance Evolution Partners: Insurer, start-up, writer, coach, influencer - one life, many roles (173)
Bryan Falchuk talks about his background in insurance and insurtech, and the innovation challenges for insurers and start-ups in 2022.
16. Rich Sorkin: CEO & Co-founder, Jupiter Intelligence: The climate change risks that can’t be ignored (181)
How Rich Sorkin's experience of extreme weather events motivated him to launch the company and products and services Jupiter offers, how clients are using its data, and why it is vital that insurers track the long-term impacts and risks they face from climate change.
17. Joan Cuscó, MAPFRE & Nicolas Monsarrat, Accenture Health: Digital health in 2022 and the implications for insurers (182)
What the digital health landscape looks like in 2022 and what it means for the insurance industry.
18. Hemant Shah: Co-founder & CEO, Archipelago: Moving upstream - digitising and standardising customer data at source (145)
How Archipelago goes directly to original data sources - risk managers and building owners - to improve data sharing in the industry.
19. Robin Merttens & Andrew Yeoman: Navigating algorithmic underwriting in Property & Casualty (160)
Andrew shares his insights on the potential of algorithmic underwriting, plus practical examples of how Concirrus is using algorithms to identify marine risks and build dynamic pricing models.
20. Dr Tim Farewell: Science and Communications Director, Terrafirma, a Dye & Durham Solution: Cracks and collapse – the risks beneath your property (178)
Matthew and Tim Farewell discuss what is causing the problems for homeowners and how Terrafirma provides data to help insurers understand portfolio risks from subsidence, mines and voids, sinkholes, and coastal erosion.
21. Jonathan Gonzalez: CEO & Co-founder, Raincoat: The parametric company solving the protection gap at scale (183)
Jonathan explains how scalable parametric insurance products are helping to reduce the protection gap, Raincoat’s consumer-focused approach, and tailoring solutions to tackle relevant climate risks in different areas of the world.
22. Alex Hearn: Founder & CEO, Slipcase: Information that matters and insights that inform (179)
Alex and Matthew discuss the process of building the company, the technology behind the platform, and the insurance content that is capturing users’ attention.
23. Robin Merttens & Simon Torrance: Insurance - to Embed, or not to Embed (144)
Simon and Robin explore the opportunities offered by embedded insurance and insights from the InsTech London report, Insurance: to Embed or not to Embed.
24. Nick Wright: Chief Business Development Officer, Pen Underwriting: Every problem has a solution (163)
Why investing in innovation is a key part of the company’s approach and how Pen Underwriting supports its partners.
25. Mark Allan: Commercial Director UK Insurance, Bupa: Private healthcare in the pandemic and beyond (157)
Mark joins Robin to discuss Bupa’s experience of the Covid-19 pandemic in the UK and the challenges ahead for health insurance.
26. Andrew Passfield: CEO, ICE InsureTech: Insurance software for innovation - flexibility as a service (152)
Andrew explains how ICE InsureTech is helping to provide more agility to clients and their customers, and shares insights from a career spent working in insurance technology.
27. George Devereese & Turloch Mooney: IHS Markit: Revealing the risks: inside shipping and containers (169)
The conversation covers how technology is being used in the real-time monitoring of vessels and the data and analytics IHS Markit provides to marine insurers to assist with underwriting, risk allocation, and claims investigation/mitigation.
28. Todd Rissel: Chairman & CEO, e2Value: Product launch 2.0 - smart tech, simple solutions (153)
Todd outlines how e2Value's new Structure Insurance Score and Inspect Connect solutions are enabling underwriters to communicate with brokers to verify information.
29. Paul Templar: CEO, VIPR: Data - seen it, clean it, sort it (180)
Paul discusses how brokers and insurers are using VIPR’s data and analytics platform to manage data, getting information flowing efficiently across the market, and how VIPR is looking to scale with the help of private equity.
30. Robert Le: Fintech Analyst, PitchBook: The facts and figures - tech companies to watch (184)
Robert Le talks about how it gathers, defines and categorises different sources of information in its databases. He reviews what public market investors expect from insurtech and established technology companies and discusses the insurance areas where he is seeing opportunities emerge.
31. Mick Noland: Executive, General Manager, Insurance Solutions at CoreLogic: The digital hub for property data (148)
How to use data to make better business decisions, and how CoreLogic helps clients to understand their climate change risk.
32. Gethin Jones, Skyline Partners & Calum Williams, AEGIS London: The parametric platform delivering new insurance solutions (146)
How Skyline Partners and AEGIS London created a new active assailant parametric product to provide US business owners with cover in the event of a shooting.
33. Arjun Ramdas: CEO, Charles Taylor InsureTech: Platforms, data collaboration and market efficiency (125)
Data collaboration between insurers, MGAs and brokers, and how Charles Taylor’s technology is supporting the Lloyd’s market.
34. Jerad Leigh: Co-founder & CEO, Supercede: The founder‘s journey: surviving and thriving as a start-up (151)
Jerad shares his experiences of making the leap from 'early stage' to ‘established' company, including some great advice on how to build a business.
35. Marine Utgé-Royo: Chief Strategy Officer, Tesselo: Geospatial intelligence for forestry risk (143)
Matthew finds out how Tesselo’s technology is tracking changes in forests and how it can help with compliance to environmental regulation.
36. Charles Blanchet: VP of Solutions, ICEYE: Your satellite will be with you shortly: Rapid flood loss assessment (128)
How ICEYE is using its own microsatellites to provide insurers with high-resolution, building-level flood depths around the world immediately after an event.
37. Adrien Cohen: Co-founder & President, Tractable: Damage assessment with AI - fast, scalable, global (134)
Tractable’s global growth, the challenges of working with AI, and what the company has planned for property insurance.
38. Evan Glassman: Co-founder, New Paradigm Underwriters: Parametric insurance - delivering US hurricane & quake cover since 2013 (138)
New Paradigm offers parametric insurance products based on earthquake shake intensity and hurricane wind speed, measured by hurricane-hardened anemometers.
39. Henri Winand: Co-founder and CEO, AkinovA: The e-placing platform driving new insurance solutions (139)
Matthew and Henri discuss the importance of pricing platforms and how AkinovA helps in the creation of new insurance products.
40. Elizabeth Marston: Co-founder, Sotera Heritage: Old meets new - using the latest technology to insure antiquities (141)
Sotera Heritage uses AI and machine learning to create irrevocable digital identities for ancient antiquities, helping insurers to accurately verify objects.
41. Dr Anushka Patchava: Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Vitality: Where clinical meets digital - insights from health insurance (137)
What the shift to digital over the past 12 months has meant for life & health insurers, and the challenges of achieving true digital engagement.
42. Jeroen Morrenhof: CEO & Co-founder, FRISS: Underwriting and claims fraud revealed (105)
Jeroen explains how FRISS is using technology to prevent fraud both at the point of underwriting and from claims, and shares his insights on how to grow a business.43. Jane Toothill & Matt Reid: JBA Risk Management: US flood - lessons learnt from the UK (136)
44. Bob Frady & John Siegman: CEO & CCA, HazardHub: The data you need at a price you can afford (135)
HazardHub supplies insurers with data for perils and unique property risk information, including the location of every fire hydrant in the US.
45. Mark Patterson, Deloitte & Mark Eastham, Avantia: What 8,000 people want from their insurer (121)
Deloitte's The Future of Home and Motor Insurance survey asked 8,000 customers in 12 countries for their views on insurance. Find out which products they like and what they wanted more of.
46. Richard Garry: Chief Commercial Officer, Gamma Location Intelligence: Build vs buy - getting the best location intelligence information (140)
Richard explains how Gamma Location Intelligence helps insurers to understand property-based risks by providing accurate location data to support underwriting decisions.
47. Thomas Loridan & Nick Hassam: CEO & CCO, reask: Short term climate variability - forecasting with confidence (127)
Advances in technology, research and the use of AI are providing insurers with the evidence they need to confidently change their assessment of potential catastrophe risks over the short-term.
48. Pascal Millaire: CEO, CyberCube: Powering profitable cyber insurance growth (120)
Find out how the cyber insurance market has expanded since Pascal's first podcast appearance in 2019, and why the world’s largest insurance institutions are turning to CyberCube to manage their cyber exposures.
49. Andy Thompson: Co-founder & CEO, Safehub: Sensors and sensitivity - Real time property earthquake risk assessment (133)
Safehub’s sensors monitor a building’s natural frequency to create a profile of potential vulnerabilities and a baseline for assessing structural damage if catastrophe strikes.
50. Cole Winans: Founder & CEO, Flyreel: Know your risk; the self-service property inspection tool helping insurers & their clients (129)
Insurers are using Flyreel’s technology to create a comprehensive baseline record of properties for underwriting, risk management and claims.